Since I don't have images now I thought it best to begin with some Kiwi vocabulary. I wish I could convey pronunciation as well, but that is way too hard to do in writing. Look for future videos to transmit the kiwi accent.
I begin the list with the word "cheers", as it is not only the most ubiquitous but also I think my favorite. In fact, I have been using it in the states as well ever since we lived here earlier in the decade. Below is a list (in totally random order) of the words and phrases that come to mind now; more will surely follow.
Ta - this isn't what you think. Usually we Americans think it means goodbye, but here it means thank you.
mate - friend (duh)
toilet - bathroom. This one is continually challenging for me, as I still feel awkward and a little rude asking to know where the toilet is, but I have to remember it is perfectly normal here. When I do say restrooms or ladies room I get odd looks.
Togs - bathing suit
serviette - napkin
diaper - nappy
telly - TV
lolly - candy
jumper/jersey - sweater
jandals - flip flops
trolley - shopping cart
park - parking space
hobs - stove top
bench - kitchen counter
bin - trash can
elevator - lifts
motorway - highway/freeway
and my second favorite.... guillotine - paper cutter
then there are phrases you hear all the time:
"thanks for that"
"won't be a moment"
"good to go"
and cool words like "aw, choice!", "wicked!" (which sounds like "whuckud") or, "sweet as" (though this seems to have fallen down the list a bit - seemed more popular when we were here last).
Finally, one must remember when singing or practicing the alphabet with a child here, that the last letter is not "zee' but "zed". And also if you ask for a favor, be sure you ask for a favour.
There are MANY more translations to be shared, particularly around food and drink. The whole subject of tea and coffee will need to be its own post.
until then!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment